The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, October 30, 2017

What Terrifies You?

      I still remember watching the movie "The Birds" for the first time. I know I was not yet a teenager, and being afraid was delicious. It was fun squealing and covering my eyes... as long as it was done in a safe place. (After reading about how some of the scenes were filmed, I now think that Alfred Hitchcock was the scariest part of that movie. If you don't know what Tippi Hedren endured to get the movie filmed, check out this article.)



      Probably close to the same time, I read the book Rosemary's Baby, which had me on the edge of my seat.

       As an adult I've continued my love of being scared, of being creeped out. Mostly, it's been via ink on paper. "Silence of the Lambs" was scary-suspenseful at times. So was "Psycho." (I just saw the new version of "It" and was not scared in the least. Can anybody recommend a scary movie?)

       Here are some of my favorite scary books:

  • The Shining by Stephen King
  • The Fireman by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)
  • NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (again, did you pick up on it? He's Stephen King's son)
    What scary books or movies can you add to this list? Terrified minds want to know...

10 comments:

  1. I agree, "The Shining" (the book) is the scariest thing I have read. "Pet Sematary" isn't far behind. As for movies, I would say "Session 9." It has David Caruso in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--I haven't read "Pet Sematary" but will put it on my list since I love most of the Stephen King I've read AND because it's on your list.

      A good movie with David Caruso? Isn't that an oxymoron? I am intrigued, since Caruso (in my opinion) is so wooden. I definitely will check this film out.

      Delete
  2. "The Exorcist" is the scariest thing I ever read. And "Dracula." And maybe "'Salem's Lot." Any kind of devil-y movies I avoid. Can't even watch commercials for that "Annabelle: Creation" movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--I've never read "Dracula" (I know, I know). I haven't read "Salem's Lot" either. I guess I should get back to some old and some more recent classics, huh?

      Delete
  3. Scary isn't on any list for me. I couldn't get through "The Shining." Stuff like that puts my imagination into overdrive. Can't do it. Movies or books. Nope. I enjoy thrillers, though.

    I have written a few horror stories over the years, which is definitely fun, but since I don't read the genre, writing it is limited. I had a bad experience a number of years ago because a story I submitted for publication too closely resembled one written by some famous horror author of whom I had never heard (because, again, I don't read the genre). The editor accused me of appropriating the material---she was diplomatic about it, but I was sick over it. I spent hours hunting down the story she thought I had stolen, and I was shocked to find she was right. The similarities were startling. I was terrified (ha) this would happen again just because I don't have the horror reading background to know what's likely to already be out there. That ended my horror writing in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Your experience is a horror story for a writer.

      But hey, at least you know the editor actually read your submission. That's a plus, right?

      Delete
  4. I'll read anything by Stephen King, but avoid movie adaptations like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a fair amount of old Stephen the King...Pet Sematary still creeps me out, thinking about it. Salem's Lot is super scary, too. But Carrie might just be his best--short and horrible!

    As for movies, I don't watch anything scary in a theater. I have to be able to run and hide. :-) Stranger Things on Netflix is SUPER scary and engaging and the 80's. You'd love it, I guarantee it!

    (And P.S. it's worth paying for a month, just to watch all 16 episodes. But if you can stand to binge watch, you could do a free trial and scare yourself silly in one marathon session!)

    Oh! Also, when I was a kid, The Haunting scared the bejeebers out of me! They did a remake (with Liam Neeson) but I couldn't bring myself to get that scared again. Though I do love me some Liam Neeson. (It's based on a Shirley Jackson story: The Haunting of Hill House.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Exorcist was very scary, but for psychological chill-down-the-spine scary, I would totally pick the movie The Sixth Sense. What a wowzer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...